- Senior Research Manager, Chemoinformatics Research Group, Information School, University of Sheffield, April 1999 – November 2016
Duties varied, ranging from management of the Chemoinformatics Research Group, coordination and teaching within the department, and general departmental research and management duties.
- Systems Design Engineer, Ansaldo Ltd., Chesterfield, September 1998 – March 1999. Design and modification of several control systems for industrial customers including British Steel and Nescafe.
- Chemdex-UK Web Administrator, Department of Chemistry, September 1997 – August 1998. Administration and data collection for an on-line index of UK chemists from industry and academia.
- Tripos Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Information Studies, October 1994 – August 1997. Collaboration with a leading international chemoinformatics software company.
- Department of Education Senior Research Fellow, Department of Information Studies, October 1992 – September 1994. A two-year post, funded by the Department for Education, which allowed the final phase of the Sheffield Generic Structures Project to be completed. The Sheffield Generic Structures Project, which ran for nearly two decades, aimed at solving the problems inherent in storing and searching chemical patent documents using structural means. The project had considerable influence on the design of commercial products and was funded by several international organisations in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Information Studies, October 1990 – September 1992. Funded by Derwent Publications Ltd. and Telesystemes/Questel, the project adapted software developed by the Sheffield Generic Structures Project to be used for data translation purposes in the commercial Markush DARC patent searching system.
- Research Assistant, Department of Information Studies, January 1988 – September 1990. Studies on the Sheffield Generic Structures Project as part of PhD research. During this time, the project was funded by International Documentation in Chemistry, a collaboration of several large European pharmaceutical companies.
- Research Student, Department of Information Studies, September 1986 – December 1987. Initial PhD research studies on the Sheffield Generic Structures Project.